Featured Post

New Post

Popular Post

Gift presents: Snow Hat- Boys, kids craft ideas

Hats, Sewing  |  August 19th 2011  |  0 Comment

Gift presents: Snow Hat- Boys,

kids craft ideas

Sewing pattern

It's been fun with RJ's developing imagination lately- he's 2 1/2.
For example, the other day he told me: “Elves have red poop mom.”
He earned a gummi worm, and never ate it, but carried it around all day telling me it wasn’t candy, it was a dead worm.  He’d let me pet the dead worm, but that’s all.  It was “his pet.”
Yesterday morning he saw a Gap add as I was checking my email and they had these kid hats that were animals.  The shark was OK, but he really got excited about that red monster hat.  I thought the racoon was really cute too.
I remembered I had a kids winter hat pattern, and pulled it out.  I used McCalls M5772.  The pattern kind of looks cheesy, but they always do right?  I used version C for this hat.
He had specific ideas in mind for his monster, and this was so fun to make for him.
I showed him the red fleece I had in mind, but he picked out the orange fur from the rack of fabric.  I was surprised because I thought he’d want the red.  Everything has to be red lately, from his cup, shirts, pants, etc.
But he found the fur, I had kind of forgot I had it. It was $1 for probably 1.5 yards from a thrift store.
RJ actually picked/ planned most of it. I asked how many eyes his monster had, “just 2″.
For the eyes, I told him to pick out a scrap and he chose the green.
He was really specific on having sharp teeth too.
He stood by me the majority of the time I was sewing, watching the monster come to life.  When he saw the mouth, he was jumping up and down–pretty exciting.
I didn’t take pictures of the process, because I didn’t know if it would turn out, and we were in a hurry with a toddler on the edge of his seat.  So here’s what I did in case your little dude would love one too, or you have a little guy on your Christmas list.
The pattern is actually for fleece, but the faux fur had enough stretch I figured it would work.
I did line it with fleece though.
HORNS: Cut 4 fleece triangles that curved a little.  Sewed 2 together, trimmed the edges and turned them right side out and stuffed them with Polyfil fluffy batting.  I sewed them at the bottom of the side seams.
EYES: I hacked out 2 circles from scraps of white vinyl.  RJ chose a lime green scrap for the little irises.  I just straight stitched those on with a short stitch length, 1.0 I think.  Then I hand sewed the little black button pupils on each eye.  I had sewn the center seam of the hat at this point, and just straight stitched each eye on.  They are a little off, not intentional, but look like a scary monster I guess.
MOUTH: I cut a oblong piece of the charcoal fleece, then zig zagged the white triangle scraps on for teeth.  I attached the mouth with a straight stitch, then a small zig zag right on the edge.
At this point it was finished, and RJ told me he wanted “monster tails” too, the hanging pom-pom things.
TAILS: Looking at similar snow hats, most seemed to have braided yarn, with yarn pom-poms at the ends.  I didn’t have any gray yarn, and was trying to think of things to hang at the end that weren’t so feminine as yarn pom-poms.  So I ended up using the same gray fleece.  For the strings, I took 3 pieces of fleece: 1/2″ wide and 10-12″ long and braided them tightly.  I sewed all 3 pieces together on top of each other at the beginning and the end.
To make the “boy” pom-poms, I cut 2 pieces of fleece (4.5″ x 6″ each) into skinny 1/4″ strips.  So a single pom-pom string was 4.5″ tall and 1/4″ wide.  I stacked them in a pile, then tied them really tightly around the middle with fishing line.  I wrapped the line around a few times, getting it tighter and tying knots in the fishing line to keep it tight.  The tighter around the middle, the more it looks like a sphere.  I had long leftover ends of fishing line hanging off the pom-poms, which is how I attached them to the braid.  I threaded a needle on the fishing line ends of each pom-pom and sewed up through the braid, and back down through the bottom of the pom-pom a couple times until I felt it was secure.
Source:projectsbyjess.blogspot.com